Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can I overcome this O/S#52 error in Etabs

Concrete design in Etabs

Can I overcome this O/S#52 error in Etabs

by  Muayyed  Posted    (Edited  )
I’m running into an issue with the reinforced concrete column analysis in ETABS and would appreciate your input as I’m still getting used to ETABS. Attempting to keep a long story short, ACI states that if the ratio of secondary-to-primary moments exceeds 1.4, the structural system must be revised as this can be indicative of structural instabilities existing in the current building configuration. the problem is that I'm analyzing an existing building from 1913, so this can’t be done. Running the analysis in ETABS gives me an error of “O/S #52” and will not give me a DCR saying that the column is in violation of the ACI provision I described above (see screenshot below).

I was able to work around this by using manual inputs in VA. Are you guys aware of any way to have ETABS provide me a DCR even if it would violate the ACI provisions? As I am understanding ACI, a violation of the provision doesn’t mean that the column is necessarily failing and my goal is to review initial DCRs for just a gravity analysis at this point before moving forward.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)
Back