Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.003 Brass

Status
Not open for further replies.

fab3

Industrial
Dec 4, 2008
US
A customer wants our shop to cut some small parts out of .003" brass. I have no clue where to start with power settings and feed rate, etc. I am also curious if brass is reflective like copper. Laser power is 1500 watts, any ideas or warnings would be helpful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you doing full sheets? You may have to create a frame to support the material because the gas pressure will vibrate the sheet. You may want to shut off material sensing in order to cut it. You may also wish to consider coating the material with Malox and let it dry for about 5 minutes. The Malox will help minimize back reflection during the pierce. use Nitrogen as an assist gas (3-6 bar)and a starting feed rate of 8,000 to 10,000 mm per minute (you can always go faster if you can).
-HR

Thanks for the advice Henry. I'm not worried about supporting the material, but I am curious if substituting nitrogen for shop air is a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back