Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1-1/2" inch water meter to 4" pipe 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

brocelo

Civil/Environmental
Jul 31, 2019
US
Hi,

This is for a potable drinking water project. I have a 1-1/2" water meter that I'm trying to connect to a 4" ductile iron pipe. How do I go about doing this?

Water meter has 150# flanges and the 4" DI pipe has 125# flanges so the flanges are compatible.

I found a 1-1/2" to 2" reducer and a 2" to 4" reducer. Unfortunately, they weren't NSF 61 certified so I couldn't use them.

I couldn't find any other reducers that are NSF 61 certified.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

2 bolt meter flanges are not ANSI standard

For a straight connection
4" cap with a 2" threaded hole
2" x 1 1/2" Brass busing
1 1/2" brass nipple
1 1/2" meter flange or meter stop with flange

Better setup
cap the end of the pipe with 4" blow off, gives a sediment trap
tap the pipe 5 ft upstream of the with a 1 1/2" saddle and proceed with standard meter setup
corporation stop, copper pipe, meter stop all compression or flare

Some 2" meter flanges fit both 2" and 1 1/2" meters

Hydrae

What's your requisite service pipe size?

If you need 4" NPS service, then you will need a bigger meter, the pressure drop through a 1-1/2" meter is going to be humongous.
I get no going with a 4" meter, but you will be good with just one pipe size smaller.

If you need 1-1/2" NPS service you should get a 1-1/4" meter.

Agree with dbill74. If this is the client trying to avoid a higher meter charge, the municipality will likely reject it just because of the 4" service line. We did a city-wide meter replacement project in 2016 and found our meter supplier Sensus had good test data supporting some of the downsizing dbill74 mentions. In our case we replaced aging SR2 mechanical meters with "mini-mag" iPerl meters for residential accounts. I can't remember their larger diameter meter series' product name, but they helped us review those for potential downsizing. Again this was maybe on the order of a pipe size and not at all for others.

The 4 inch service line with a 1.5 inch meter makes perfect sense to me.
Ductile is not available in sizes smaller than 3 inch
but 3 inch so rare that the lengths are random, order 100 ft and you will get 10 sticks with an average of 10 ft per stick (I assume they cast 3" with the dregs of the ladle at the end of a pour)
Other pipe in the 2 inch or 3 inch are not worth it.
Galvanized will rust.
Copper $$$.
PCV sch 40 will crack in 40 years unless installed perfectly.
PCV sch 80 has 2 glue joints every 10 ft.
Polyethylene unless welded and installed perfectly leaks in 20 years.
PEX close to the price of copper, this is my second choice to a 4 inch DI or C-900.

If you have a distance of 100 ft, the friction loss in a 2 inch pipe will be equal to the meter. and at 3 inch the losses are equal at 700 ft.
Also UPC requires the up sizing of the service line based upon distance, flow, and available pressure according to charts that are in the code.

Hydrae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back