Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1.4742 material: how can we cast this material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Materials
Dec 17, 2009
TR
hi. we want to cast 1.4742 steel with a coreless induction furnace. but we have a problem because of this material 1.4742. 1.4742 material has 0,7-1,0 aluminium and 0,12 carbon, 18 chrom. so its difficult that cast this material. we casted but the casting is too bad; it has surface cracks and too many slags on the face. I think its reason Aluminium.( % 1 ) So, what can we do?
- using filter?
- changing gating system?
- using maybe some stabilizator elements for aluminium?
or what? please help me..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

High aluminium content makes the metal sluggish and casting difficult. If they are of any basic shapes,pour into chill molds and machine them to required sizes. Sand casting will be a challenge and there is no use of a filter due to aluminium. A continuous film of aluminium oxide will keep forming and you cannot skim it off.

I am not aware of any additive to neutralize the effect of aluminium. Vacuum melting and casting this alloy might help.

Learn the rules,so you know how to break them properly.
Dalai Lama

This looks like a vacuum melted alloy however it maybe possible depending on the size of the contract to do some development work to manufacture this alloy using special deoxidation techniques and incorporating argon into your process.

ok so thanks. I will cast this material with argon stirring.
casting parts have basic shape and it is sand casting. should I use feeder more or less or common?

You need to use the same feeding systems as for other steel castings. It is advisable to introduce filters in the gating system so that any dross/slag can be entrapped.

Learn the rules,so you know how to break them properly.
Dalai Lama

Is the chemistry that you are using from a casting specification? or is the wrought chemistry?
The cast grades have different chemistry.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

The cast specification does have aluminium additions. You need to be careful you may clog the filter up if you use these if there is too much slag. You also need to be careful on how much weight you pour through a filter as it can break and leave inclusions in you casting. Deoxidation is key to solving this problem.

There are always going to be folks trying to air melt aluminum bearing alloys - with very limited success. Most of the aluminum will oxidise during melting forming the Al2O3 scum that you see forming on the top. I would be surprised if the aluminum stays within the specification limits unless special techniques are employed such as: 1. preferred method - vacuum casting - watch out though, if the material is not previously vacuum refined, then it may outgas violently, boiling over the crucible just prior to or during pouring.
2. Liquid Argon dripped very slowly over the top of the melt will create a continuously expanding cloud of inert gas over an air-melt furnace that may be your best option. You don't need a lot, e.g., one cubic inch of pure argon liquid equals approximately 9 cubic yards of pure argon gas! You will need a liquid Dewar and a wand with a porous stone. Call Air Liquide for more details, or check their website.
3. You might also try alloying it up, adding the aluminum under argon just prior to pouring.
Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back