Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

10' C.C. Sewer 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinkie

Civil/Environmental
Jan 4, 2012
US
I am looking at a utility plan from the early 1900s, and there is what is called out as "10' CC Sewer" shown on the plans. This "pipe" has an invert depth of greater than 50-feet. There are no structures visible anywhere on the plan sheets that I have.

Does anyone know what this could be? This is located in a major US city, and I was wondering if this is an old subway or pedestrian tunnel, but I can't find any reference of these facilities ever being located in this area.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Lots of options, apparently none of them good: [smile]

In my world, "CC" almost always means center-to-center, so I like retired13's second suggestion. However, you're talking about a sewer that is more than 100 years old, so who knows.

Do you happen to know the size of the sewer? I doubt they were making 10-ft-dia sewers back then, but maybe they made a 10-ft rectangular box sewer. If this is the case, then maybe "CC" means "cast concrete".

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

I saw "cylindrical concrete" on an old sewer crawler website, so that makes some sense I guess, but no access pr maintenance structures that I can find anywhere.

may be Cement-Concrete as shown here (dated 1921 - an old terminology of ASTM ??)
sewer_pipe_02_1921_mjy0pe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back