Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

100 KVA UPS heat dissipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkhubert

Mechanical
Nov 1, 2007
US
I have a 100 KVA UPS (uniterrupted power supply) unit with a maximum heat dissipation rate of 20,490 btuh. I am looking of a realistic diversity factor to use in my heat load calculations.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check with the UPS provider, I found the SHG to the room will vary based upon what the unit is doing. The unit will have a "maintain" mode that places a replacement charge on the cells. During the normal maintain, the heat output will be low. Only during a restore (full charging) after a loss of the main bus will the unit do a heavy charge and this is the max output. The last few I looked into could take the room temp up to 95 F without a loss of output.

As DrRtu said...

The big hit as I remember is when they are brought on line - huge btu/hr. number - but they are not on line for very long - just enough time for the generator to fire up - 5 minutes tops before they poop (I have only experience in data centers). Along with a dedicated HVAC unit, its also prudent to put in a relief hood with motorized damper controlled by a thermostat to help with that first surge of heat dissipation.

Andy W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back