Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

100 MW electric arc furnace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elec777

Electrical
Apr 24, 2010
SY
Dears,
we are discussing the case of supplying power from a 230 MW combined cycle power station directly to a 100 MW electric arc furnace, the power station is connected to the utility grid, because utility put on me some restrictions to operate the furnace on the grid, I convinced the power station, people, to supply the furnace directly and since the power plant is connected to the grid, hence in case I might need extra power for my furnace I can take it from the grid, kindly could you please advice your comments on that.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A journey begins with one step. How far have you got on yours?

100 MW is a large percentage of the available 230 MW power and some furnaces have a very irregular current consumption when the process starts. So, you can expect lots of voltage variations and flicker. So, I doubt if the 230 MW will be very successful. It could work if other loads connected to the power station can tolerate the often violent voltage variations.

You are probably already aware of this side of the problem - perhaps also how to use static VAR compensation to reduce the problems somewhat.

Muthu is right. This cannot, and should not, be a one-man show. I hope that you are a team.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

If you connect wires from your arc furnace to the power plant and there are wires connecting the power plant to the grid, then your arc furnace is still connected to the grid. So, how do you expect this scheme to successfully bypass the utility restrictions????

Statcom was created to deal with the harmonics that arc furnaces put into the system. The furnaces put a lot of harmonics onto the system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.

There is a huge amount of site/system specific engineering that will need to be done to do this successfully. The most general question to ask yourself is how you supply a load that looks like a fault without screwing with all of your protections. I don't think it's that abnormal to build a specific station to feed these kind of loads.

What Lionel said: this question requires full-on engineering analysis, not just posting a question on eng-tips. That being said, IMHO a combined cycle power plant would be a very poor match indeed for this application, especially if not grid-tied.

I seem to recall seeing somewhere a picture of a dedicated power plant in Texas harnessing scores of vertical shaft multi-cylinder radial high-compression natural gas fuelled engines to generate ~200 MW of electricity for a smelting plant; any thoughts as to whether something like this would be more suitable?

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back