Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

100 year flood plain development 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehparadox86

Civil/Environmental
Dec 7, 2016
US
I have a piece of property that I wanted to build a gravel parking lot for some of my vehicles. The property is located in a 100 year floodplain, about 4' below county recognized floodplain. The property was filled prior to my purchase (about 2' above floodplain) but the county won't recognize the new elevation. What can I do if anything about it? Would I need a new flood study? I'm thinking of doing a 4000 sf parking lot Or should I just park my cars there anyways. LOL

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suspect they'll have more consternation with the previous fill than the request for a parking area. Regardless, it sounds like it could be permissible provided all of the vehicles are operable. I like to use our DNR's quick guide as a first pass review and then drill down deeper if needed, I'm seeing parked cars falling under the RV section, but understand that local jurisdictions can be more restrictive.

If the locals will not accept an elevation certificate you could request a LOMA or LOMAR from Fema. That will require the services of a hydrology/hydraulics based professional engineering firm. Gammma Engineering is a such a service in Annapolis, Md. 21401 410.626.1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back