Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

10d Common Nail

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSEngineer

Structural
Jun 23, 2010
US
Does anyone know the shear strength of a 10d common nail? Is there a website that might list such capacities?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

See NDS, Chapter 11.

The shear strength of a nail is kind of meaningless in a vacuum. The geometry, side member and main member properties are important.

Note that the NDS does not specify and ASTM standard for nails. It's up to the designer to do so.

Nails are made of steel. If they were used to connect steel, shear strength would be a consideration, but they are used to connect wood.

And watch out, 10d is not a unique designation either. 10d "box", "sinker", "common" and those shot out of nail guns can all have different shank diameters!

What Hokie says is correct. I love how he said it. [bigsmile]

You will find allowable lateral bearing loads and withdrawl loads in various tables based on the nail size, depth of penetration, the wood species, and type of connection, but no general number for shear for the nail alone as the lumber is critical and there are just too many variables. If you need that, for whatever reason, you will have to calculate it based on the area and allowable shear stress for the nail.

If you can get your hands on it, check for these allowable values for pullout and lateral bearing in the "Western Woods Use Book", or similar publications.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

As PMR06 says, there are many different nail sizes for the given name. I usually will call out the nail as 8d (2-1/2" x .131") to help clarify specifically which nail I am talking about.

I suspect you are interested in lateral resistance, not shear strength. The Wood Design Manual published by the Canadian Wood Council includes factored lateral resistance for various sizes of nails in D. Fir, Hem. Fir and SPF.

In the U.S.A., a 10d common nail has a length of 3" and a diameter of 0.148". There are several charts available on the internet. Try the following link:

BA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back