Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

110VAC Centre Tapped Earth (CTE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRincez

Electrical
Nov 7, 2006
GB
For a 110VAC CTE system, there's an earth connection between the 2 leads of the output transformer. this splits the 100V out to +55V and -55V. It means the voltage between live and earth is always limited to 55V.

I have a 2P+E socket and i'm wondering if I should connect the earth or not giving that there's one upstream in the transformer. Can someone provide a typical working diagram for CTE terminations please. That'd be helpful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The earth terminal on a receptacle is used to connect to, and ground metal cases of appliances, tools and equipment connected to the receptacle. The reason is so that any internal fault that may cause a voltage on exposed metal parts of items will have a low impedance path back to the source and provide protection by causing the circuit protective device (fuse or circuit breaker) to open. For this reason the earth terminal should be connected in such a way as to provide a low impedance path back to the supply transformer. The method of connection is subject to local codes. This is an international forum. Post your location and someone local may give more specific guidance.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back