Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

12" Sch 80 Pipe 1 mile underwater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamaren

Mechanical
Sep 27, 2021
US
Hello all-
New here, But I have an interesting question that I've gotten a lot of conflicting information on.

12" Sch. 80S (.5" Wall thickness) 304L Stainless steel. 24" long. Welded on both sides.
Can it withstand being 1 mile underwater (2,350 PSI external) assuming standard 1ATM inside?

Follow up questions-
A. If not, would up to two vacuum rings welded to the outside solve the problem?
B. Would matching the external pressure by depth- I.e Filling the inside of the pipe to closely match external pressure- solve the problem?
How greatly is external water temperature going to affect strength- assuming around 30F

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you get when you run the external pressure calculations on 12.75" OD x 0.437" wall (minimum)?
I get something just over 750psi.
Stiffeners won't help this.
You need more wall, and/or less OD.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

What's the end of this cylinder?

A won't work,
B will work
Temp like that makes no difference

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Too weak stainless steel grade, it's likely to buckle or collapse on load wave variations.
Go thicker or stronger.
Pipe-in-pipe or externally thick coated could be alternative options

* Finding a solution is great * Knowing how to implement it is fantastic * Believing it is the only one and best is naive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back