Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

125VDC Substation Battery Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

thermionic1

Electrical
Nov 30, 2018
US
I'm looking for either a ready made device or something simple for one of our test racks and a few other applications. The primary use would be powering logic (opto isolated) inputs on protection relays, PLC's and similar. Most of our SEL devices have a universal power supply input, so I'll use AC for the larger loads. We have the SEL power supply unit, however this gets used in the field often and my intention is to keep something permanent with the test rack. The SEL has 2 125 VDC outputs, but they are not very well regulated. I can find all kinds of 48V / 24V supplies, just can't seem to find a reasonably priced 125V unit. I'm thinking 2A max, or less would be fine.

I put together a small unit using a boost converter, which is OK for now, but was wondering if there is something better out there with built in protection, etc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I found a $50 solution on Ebay. An Electrophoresis Power Supply is used in medical work. Used units are quite inexpensive. My unit goes up to 300W / 2kV.

I found the trick is hanging a 1 Mohm resistor in parallel with the output, else the unit won't start up.

I'll continue to power the various relays (SEL with universal AC/DC) with line voltage. This supply is for wetting logic inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back