Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

13-8PH - Strength in Cond. A

Status
Not open for further replies.

will123

Automotive
Sep 4, 2003
GB
We have a part manufactured from 13-8PH, which has been bonded into an assembly. Unfortunately it has since been discovered the part has missed the heat treatment step to age it.
I appreciate all the literature states the material should not be used in the solution treated condition, but could anyone tell me the strength that I can expect from the material in this state.
And what is the primary reason for the advice of avoiding the use of the material in cond. A.

Thank you in advanced for your assistance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have any of the original mill MTR's from the buys that made the product? These should have both the annealed and the aged mechanical properties on them. You should be able to go back up your supply chain and get this info.

The reason not to use "A" material is that the mechanicals are highly variable and the ductility tends to be low (at least in relation to the strength).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Rust never sleeps
Neither should your protection

Thank you for the reply. We buy the material through a stockholder and the cert they supply only contains the heat treated information.

I will go back to them and get them to pull their records.

Thanks

I would expect condition A to have the same tensile strength as in the overaged condition (H1150) but with lower elongation values (equivilent to the H900-950 condition). AMS 5864 limits hardness to HRC 38 in condition A but I would expect tensile strength to vary from 135-100 ksi. Condition A is not used becuase of widely varying properties and some reports of enhanced sensitivity to stress corrosion cracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back