Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

13th AISC Code Requirements for Shear Connection Ductility

Status
Not open for further replies.

pv163

Structural
Jan 31, 2011
US
Does anyone have any references for finding the rotation of a double angle connection into the column web for a plate girder? Our consultant modeled the structure as a pinned structure but there are no expansion joints in the steel. So i started looking into the connection requirements. The code is very prescriptive -i.e. use table 10-1 and you know that your connection meets the ductility requirements. However, the plate girder isn't covered . has anyone else had to deal with this and found any good references for knowing how to check this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can check the rotational ductility using AISC 13th section 9 (pg 9-13). It is more an issue of checking the connecting element rather than the member being a rolled shape or plate girder.

I got 350 heads on a 305 engine; I get ten miles to the gallon, I ain't got no good intentions.

Maybe I'm wrong but i think the formulas in 9-13 only cover "t-sections" that are used for the connection .... it refers you to the tables when double angles are used ....

Check middle of the second paragraph under the Rotational Ductility heading.
"Note that this approach can also be used to demonstrate adequate rotational ductility in other simple shear connections that flex to accommodate the simple-beam end rotation, but with configurations that differ from those prescribed in Part 10."

I got 350 heads on a 305 engine; I get ten miles to the gallon, I ain't got no good intentions.

That's what I would do, but it doesn't come into play unless you are bolting the angles to the supported beam. If you weld to the supported beam it states that there is no perceived ductility problem with the weld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back