Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

15kV temporary flexible cable 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockman7892

Electrical
Apr 7, 2008
US
Is anyone familiar with a 15kV rated temporary flexible cable that is meant to be laid on the ground and moved around (disconnected/re-connected) to support a temporary application?

This particular application is for a MV test lab where customer will continuously modify test arrangement (when de-energized) and will have a need to move these cables in order to connect/re-connect these into various test arrangements. Cables will be indoors laid on the floor inside a controlled test lab environment.

I'm familiar with mining and dragline cable that is designed to be moved and dragged around a mine etc.. but was not sure if there was perhaps a less robust cable that was designed to be used in temporary arrangements such as the application described above?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shovel and drag line cable is likely the only cable in the MV class rated for repeated flexing. There are variants of this cable type used for crane trailing power cable service.
A significant cost driver with this cable type is the fine stranding which gives it flexibility.

You should be able to do this with standard jacketed URD cable. I'd probably go with EPR insulation and stranded conductor for flexibility.

You don't want to special-order something like this unless you have a very long length that you're dealing with.

We have cables such as these for use with mobile substations. They are well stranded copper and jacketed, but I don't know who supplies them. Might check with Delta-Star, since they build mobiles.

They do exist, although not necessarily that easy to get hold of. The utility I used to work for ended up with some as part of a mobile substation they built, although admittedly not to US standards.

In your case, if you're aware of whether the local utilities use such a cable, it might be worth contacting them to see if they can sell you an offcut if its just for a test lab. Having to buy an entire reel may be cost prohibitive.

EDMS Australia

You may want to twist those in a trefoil configuration.
If they are laid on the ground individually and unsecured you could get some vicious movement in the event of a fault current.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back