Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

16 Hour SE Exam Study Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

palves

Structural
Jun 6, 2008
US
Hi all. I'm planning on taking the 16 hour NCEES SE Exam this coming October and am compiling all of the books I need. Currently NCEES says that their April Exam will utilize codes such as the '09 IBC, '08 ACI-318, '05 NDS, and 13th Edition of the AISC Manual. However, after speaking with someone at NCEES, they said that this list is ONLY valid for the April exam, and that the updated list for the October exam will come up 6 months ahead of time. Does anybody know if this set of reference material will be valid for October as well? I would hope so, but I don't know when they're going to update to the most current set of codes. On one hand I'd like to wait and see, but I'd also like to supplement my library with necessary material ASAP so I have maximum study time. Why does NCEES have to be so cagey?

Is anybody else running into this problem, and if so how are you handling it? My fingers are crossed that they don't switch over to the next code cycle for the October exam because then I would need to drop a ton of money on new books. Let me know what your thoughts are out there in engineer-land. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

>>>Why does NCEES have to be so cagey?<<<

Because they can be. That's what comes along with having gatekeepers to occupational practice. Those on this side of the gate have no power to change it. Those on the other side of the gate have no interest in changing it. Milton Friedman makes a convincing case that this phenomenon exists in his writings on the topic. Sorry if that's not the answer you want but I believe it's the correct one.

I'm in a similar situation but I plan on tanking the Civil/Structural PE exam. When I began working ~2011, I purchased all the latest codes (ASCE 7-10, IBC 2012, etc.) for practice and future PE required reference materials. I figured by the time I would take the PE they would be the required codes. I don't mind purchasing the codes currently listed as the design standards now if they will be required by the October exam, but it would be nice to know ahead of time. You would think they would do a annual evaluation of the codes and determine if any changes are required and give the test takers plenty of time to get their stuff in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back