Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

17-4 Stainless Steel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpwaynemore

Mechanical
May 29, 2001
US
I am looking for Mechancial properties of 17-4 stainless steel bar stock Condition A. I have searched in many places and have been unable to find this information. Any suggestions as to where I may find this info or does anyone have this information?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I know, 17-4 PH is NEVER used in the annealed condition. In fact, the mechanical properties (except for hardness) are generally not even tested. This materila is only used in one of the precipitation hardened conditions.

The best place to get this type of information is from stainless steel producers. AK Steel, Allegheny Ludlum, and Carpenter all have good technical information freely available from their websites. Use the following links for information on 17-4 PH:

Then click Technical Information then Alloy Category then Stainless Steels then Precipitation Hardenable Stainless Steels

Mechanical properties for Condition A may not be constant from form to form. Condition A is usually the as-delivered condition from the mill or warehouse, although you can buy 17-4 stock pre-hardened to your desired spec. from some suppliers.

Condition A (solution annealed) is important, however, in that you should begin the classic 4 hour heat treat from Condition A and from no other condition. Condition A mechanical properties are not typically warranteed or assured by the supplier. If mechanical properties are requested (CMTR's) from the supplier, the material test report will typically include two heat treats eg: H900, H1100 and mechanical tests of these samples from the lot or alloy heat number, to demonstrate adequate performance.
Condition A stock is relatively easy to machine to final shape. Use speeds, feeds, and tools similar to 18-8 stock.

Use of the material, in service, in Condition A is a common misapplication for this material. Because of some confusion in the industry concerning Condition A, it is advisable to heat treat coupons along with any batches of parts and perform hardness and/or pull tests after heat treatment and final cleaning, polishing, etc.

Some users object to the discoloration or pateena formed by heat treat. Also, I have found that the heat treated surface seems more sensitive to galling. Both of these conditions can be aleviated by the electropolish process.

You can always age 17-4 from one aged condition to a higher temperature. (i.e. it is acceptable to re-age H900 to H1000) If you are aging to a lower temperature condition, you must first solution anneal to Condition A before re-aging. (i.e. if re-aging from H1000 to H900 you must first solution anneal to get to condition A then age to H900)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back