Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

1747-UIC driver installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrwilde

Industrial
Mar 13, 2008
US
I have been trying to set up RSVIEW32 to communicate via RSLINX with an SLC503 A-B controller through its DH485 port using a 1747-UIC adapter. I managed to struggle through to make the connection on my laptop, but when I try to install the 1747-UIC drivers on the desktop PC that will eventually run RSVIEW32 permanently, the 1747-UIC drivers do not install properly and, consequently, the 1747-UIC device does not show up in the Device Manager. The installation publication that came with the device describes a two-stage process for installing drivers for the 1747-UIC device and, immediately following, the for USB port itself. That happened seamlessly on the laptop, but not on the desktop PC. When I connect the USB cable to the PC, the "Found Hardware" popup text alternates between "Allen-Bradley 1747-UIC" and "FDTI Port" (or something similar involving "FDTI"). When the installation finishes (just one stage), the FDTI Port shows up in the device manager under "USB Controllers", but the 1747-UIC does not show up under "Ports". Is there a way to install the required A-B drivers without going through the standard (semi) automatic Windows PnP process? I do notice that the desktop PC's USB controller uses the VIA chipset, something I have had problems with in the past. Could this be the problem?

Hoping for some help with this problem. I'm dead in the water until I get it figured out.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For the cost of it, have you tried using a third party USB card in the desktop machine? I can't help on the driver problem - mine just installed cleanly so I have never had cause to look into it further.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

You do have a few options:

1) Rockwell support (good luck!)
2) New install of Windows (use new hard disk so can go back where you were) - if it works then helps in elimination process if it doesn't helps with Rockwell support
3) USB Controller worth a go but even if it is that B drivers must suck (erm yeah..)
4) Can do HDD "ghosting" from laptop to desktop. Might work but system drivers will be a bitch.
5) Different desktop with different hardware?? Extra cost but you have an (admittedly remote) cost of going back to supplier "your stuff don't work with x"

Thanks to everybody who helped me out. I still am not sure why my XP Pro system would not recognize the 1747-UIC drivers it needed to install. There was indeed a SmartGuard driver previously installed, but neither updating it as instructed by the a-b publication referenced by Mickey52 nor uninstalling it helped out. The only install I could get via the prescribed PnP method was for the FTDI USB driver. In the end, after installing a 3rd party USB card, which also didn't help, I finally figured out how to manually install the missing driver (FTSER2K.SYS - which I had to deduce from the previous successful install on my laptop). So I'm up and running. Hassles like this have plagued me since I started using RSView32. Drives me crazy.

Thanks again.

wrwilde

Be grateful you're using the 1747-UIC. The 1747-PIC was so much worse...

Thanks for letting us know how you fixed it once you did figure it out.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back