Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

18" Cast Iron Pipe Needs to be Capped

Status
Not open for further replies.

syence

Civil/Environmental
Mar 2, 2012
US
First off, I'm a civil engineer with a mechanical problem that I was hoping someone here could assist with resolving. I'm looking for a method to sufficiently cap an abandoned pair of underground 18" condenser pipes (pipes currently sit on a concrete cradle). My initial thought was to cut the pipes and weld a 1/2" think steel plate (continuous fillet weld 1/2" thick); however, this will be very difficult since access to the bottom of the pipes is very limited due to the trench box and excavation limits. Is there a mechanical fitting (I've read about dresser couplings or megalugs??) that I can use in conjunction with some sort of plug and to cap the pipes? I've attached a picture of the pipes for clarification. If so, can someone assist with suggesting a type and/or model fo such a fitting?

Otherwise, would installing a plug (mechanical or inflatable - not sure which is best here) and blocking the pipes with concrete be a sufficient capping method?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0bbbe680-18ec-4747-be63-3ea712a4c682&file=Condenser_Pipes.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the pipes will never again be pressurized, I suspect you really may not need a restraint (e.g. retainer gland). If the pipe is of "A-B" or modern OD pattern (~19.5" diameter, as could be measured/determined before cutting with a circumference tape) and if the wall is in good shape, the ends of the cut pipes could be sealed with a modern mechanical (MJ) joint ductile iron cap, standard unrestrained MJ gland (or retainer gland like Megalug, but without setting restraints), and of course an MJ gasket compressed on the outside of the pipe surface with bolting between the gland and the mating cap flange (stuffing-box principal).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back