Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1960s concrete bridge girder

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternJeb

Structural
Sep 14, 2023
US
Hello all. I have ran into a project where we are determining the capacity of a 1960's pedestrian bridge. The bridge is cast-in-place concrete, approximately 58' long, and ties into concrete beams at each support end. See the attachment for the rather odd cross section.

I know that it is similar to a box-style bridge girder but it is not exactly that either. Does anyone have a reference to this style of design that I could use to determine capacities?

Thank you!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=80c483d4-3ea1-4dfa-87fc-5325a0ba46b6&file=Section_Cut.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looks unusual enough to me that I'd expect to derive capacity from basic concrete theory. There are also a number of tools (IES Concrete Bending, the Python ConcreteSection library) which would simplify the unusual geometry exercise.

Is this a prestressed or post-tension bridge? 4" slabs are pretty thin for reinforced concrete spanning 58'. Reminds me a little of a ped bridge that was constructed between the old World Trade Center and the old Bankers Trust Building in lower Manhattan. In the early 70's as a student I worked in the BT building during the summer. The bank news letter had an article on the bridge being constructed, it was CIP/PT. The bridge got wiped out on 9/11. Anyway, enough reminiscing.

Attached are two pages from the 65 AASHO on CIP box girders, not much there, and 2 pages from the 63 ACI 318, not much there. The ACI doesn't mention box beams. However, it did cite Section 1503 for design assumptions for beams with non-standard cross sections.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=139c6439-8e16-49e5-abf4-d176e226100d&file=Pages_from_65_AASHO.pdf
It is a cast-in-place pedestrian bridge in KY. It is in the inner area of a hospital, so unfortunately not available to see through google earth.

Thanks Bridgebuster for the references.

Yes, concrete principles will govern and will ultimately be what I do. I just find it hard to imagine the original designer did this without any reference of design. After more research, I guess this bridge would be classified as a "folded plate bridge."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back