Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

1965 Stress Allowables

Status
Not open for further replies.

txcadman

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2010
US
I am re-rating an exchanger that was fabricated in 1965 and I am trying to find the stress allowables for the following materials. Would anyone be able to help me with this?

SA-212B
SA-201B
SA-53B

Any help would be apprciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The exchanger design temperature is 300 degrees F.

I believe the stress allowables are the same from -20 to 650 in the 1965 allowables. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Thanks for your help.

1965 was in the era of 4.0 safety factor (design margin). If you use the values from before 1999, you stand a chance of the values being the same.

Go get a book "Process Equipment Design" by Brownell and Young. It has the very old code included and allowable stresses of those old firebox materails are there. so no guessing.

Carefully google or using Amazon.com or ebay you can see the entire content of the book, but not allowed to print. However, you will find the allowable stress in the middle of the book. If lucky, you can still buy one for less than $20.

SA-212 Gr. B: 17.5 ksi
SA-201 Gr. B: 15.0 ksi
SA-53 Gr. B: 15.0 ksi

The modern equivalent materials for SA-212 Gr. B and SA-201 Gr. B are SA-516 Gr. 70 and SA-516 Gr. 60, respectively.

-Christine

Although allowable stress may be the same there are significant differences between new and old specs: in particular. toughness and flaw inspection.Other new spec would be redundant. I would be interested in what a OSHA inspector says when he sees your "rerated" stamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back