Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2,000 Degrees Fahrenheit 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's something you can look up:
TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

BoltSlinger-

If you provide a description of what you have in mind for the metal we can give you a much better answer. For example, molybdenum is a metal that can withstand very high temperatures (>4000degF), but it is not used widely in a pure form. Besides the metals with very high melting temps noted by EmmanuelTop there are many common metals as nickel, iron, titanium, chromium, etc. that have melting points well above 2000degF. But once again, these metals are normally used as part of an alloy for high temp applications such as fasteners or turbine engine components.

For most high-temp applications, pure metals are alloyed to provide a better combination of mechanical properties, ease of fabrication, etc. NASA did quite a bit of development work with niobium alloys for un-cooled rocket nozzles, and with columbium alloys for high-temp fasteners.

Boltslinger,

There are a lot as outlined above.

Key point that hasn't been explored is the environment and the stress loading. Is there a cyclic stress as well?

You probably should be looking at creep resistance also.

Is the environment oxidising, reducing, acidic, chloride/sulphide/fluoride containing? Any other contaminants?

Regards,

AF

BoltSlinger said:
What are some metals that are not effected by degrees up to 2,000 degrees fahrenheit?

Define "affected" ...
As the above mentioned metals and materials can be used at these temperatures, but they are without a doubt "affected" by this temperature in some way or another

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back