Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

2+1 Highway 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm sure there are lots of references, but here's one that has linked references
The broken link can be found here which recommends(?) passing lanes, which are very common in the US. My personal experience is that slow drivers tend not to move over like they're supposed to, so platooning doesn't always get reduced.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

The jughandle left should be familiar to anyone that has driven in New Jersey, but might take some acclimatization for everyone else.

Finland2_1LT_2_t1x5tb.png

My glass has a v/c ratio of 0.5

Maybe the tyranny of Murphy is the penalty for hubris. -

I find it interesting they say they are the first in North America, but I believe California and other places in the U.S. have them. Maybe they meant Canada? A quick search tells me California State Route 1 is like this in places.

F&V Engineering Inc. -
Design - Build - Operate

Three lane highways existed in 1963 I encountered one as part of US 1 in Maine (we were sightseeing the 1963 eclipse), I was far to young to drive. All lanes were marked with white dashes (1+1+1 ?).
The current practice, striping as 2 + 1 is hugely better.
Screenshot_from_2023-02-12_19-43-39_z7tjjn.png

2009 MUTCD with Revisions 1, 2, and 3 incorporated, dated July 2022
mutcd said:
On two-way roadways with three through lanes for moving motor vehicle traffic, two lanes should be
designated for traffic in one direction by using one- or two-direction no-passing zone markings as shown in Figure 3B-3.

I could see how this could work, but I am very skeptical. The main issue I see is that you would be essentially eliminating a lane every 2 to 5 km. In my experience, eliminating or merging a lane tends to cause backups, people not merging until the last minute, and alot of angry drivers vying for position at the "pinch point". Any relief of congestion due to the extra lane may be partially offset by delays to merging a lane.

In my experience, eliminating or merging a lane tends to cause backups, people not merging until the last minute, and alot of angry drivers vying for position at the "pinch point". Any relief of congestion due to the extra lane may be partially offset by delays to merging a lane.

Seems to me that's highly dependent on the loading of the road; something like this would only work on a very lightly traveled road. Once the loading increases beyond an average of about 1 car every 1/16th of a mile or so, the passing lane becomes ineffectual; I see that all the time on CA 50 to South Lake Tahoe. People who are driving slow will hog the passing lane, blocking faster cars. And, of course, truck going 1 mph faster that the truck in front is going to want to pass.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back