Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Blade Propeller Dynamic balancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dynaman

Dec 17, 2011
AU
Hi All

I'm trying to balance a small propeller using a vibration meter. Is there a way I can balance it using trial weight runs and without using phase measurements? Something similar to the 4 run method?

I'm trying to avoid the effort of trimming weights constantly to obtain the final solution.

thanks

dynaman

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Trial zero balance applied=>v0
Trial one Xgcm on blade 1 =>v1 (fiddle with X until v1 is about 50% or 150% of v2, ideally)
Trial two X gcm on blade2=>v2

If v2-v0=v0-v1 then the answer is obvious

If v2 and v1 are>>v0 then you should have used a different X

If v2 and v1 are roughly =v0 then you should have used a different X

If v2 or v1 are zero then the answer is obvious.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

depending on the construction of your support system and the quality/symmetry of the propellor there may be some "couple" imbalance in the propellor that can lead a amerry chase.

Thanks guys. The prop is 14" diameter. I'm not concerned about couple imbalance at this stage. What I have done is determine the light blade, then measured vibes of the trial weight along various radii. If the trial weight was selected carefully enough the vibes form a "V" shape. The minimum point in the V chart is the balance solution which can be scaled accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back