Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2-D drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sripri

Automotive
Feb 16, 2007
US
I am a new user to SW. I trying to understand the best approach to start making 2-D drawings (SW for dummies-I just downloaded this, or other written materials ?), I am looking through the help files and tutorials. Is there a better, quick and easy way to learn ? I am relatively comfortable with 3-D models.thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Go to formal SWx training either at your VAR or i.get.it

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
XP Pro SP2.0 P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right." -- George Best

Have you looked into classes being offered in your area? If there are no classes then follow the tutorials. This will give you the general idea.

Good luck
Mark

Everything you need to get started can be found in the Help files. The Help files will explain how to bring in your 3D model to make 2D prints, but it won't help you to make correct/proper 2D drawings that are to any published standards. Taking a class should help.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Creating 2D views of a 3D model couldn't be any easier than it is. Start new drawing, insert view, select model, place view(s), dimension view(s).

Can you be more specific of what you are actually trying to do?

[cheers]

Hi all,
Thanks for the valuable inputs. I normally create design concept models and have exp in GD&T. I get help in creating actual models and drawings, which are primarily done in IDEAS. Now we are switching to SW. I am creating some drawings using solid works. I attended startup training and have some understanding (model views, auto dimension, etc). My prime question is, how do I orient my model to call the view I like to be front (for example) in 3-D and get the same view as my front View in 2-D? thanks,

I assume you are not using SW07. The View Pallette in SW07 shows graphical images which can be dragged into the drawing sheet.

Also when inserting a view, the View Manager has a mini-selection panel showing the basic views available.

[cheers]

Ideally, you would create your model according to your default Front view--that way it will automatically be what you expect in the 2D environment.

If you didn't do that, but would like a different-than-default Front view in your 2D drawing, I do this the old way. I go to Window > Tile Horizontally to show my drawing file and my part/assembly file. Then, in the drawing window, go to Insert > Drawing View > From Model and click the model window you want to insert (the model needs to be facing how you want it to appear in your view) and then click back onto your 2D drawing page. When doing this, make sure the selection stuff on the left is clicked for Current Model View.

Once you have your altered "Front" view, you can right-click the view, select Add View and then click the direction (type of view) you'd like to place your new view.

There's certainly a quicker way to do this, but I so infrequently use drawings of any kind anymore I haven't bothered to learn the slightly faster method (it wouldn't stick in my head anyway at this rate).

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back