Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Functions with single pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudely7

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2010
US
I am needing to do the following functions with the avalibility of a single dc motor: evenly lift pair of cylinders with even loads,simultaneously, lift and gravity lower each cylinder independently while the other remains closed, gravity lower cylinders,both simultaneously and independently.

I was looking at a double gearpump,2 release valves and 2 check valves, when I needed to lift only one cylinder, I would activate the dc motor and the release valve of the opposite side, so the side I needed to remain closed would recirculate the fluid to the reservoir instead of lifting that cylinder, while the other gear would conintue to lift.

Does this sound like a viable option to get these functions? I'm having trouble finding a tandem gear that is 50/50 3.5-4.0mL/rev each side and is submergable without displacing too much of my avalible reservoir capacity (most have a huge junction box instead of specific piggyback spurpacks)

Are there flow divider circuits that would better suit me?

Keep in mind I am a complete novice! thanks for your time and any input! Dudely

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, my problem with selecting a gear is the endheads we are using are completely flat, milled only for the shaft seal to fit snuggly (like Stone brand pumps), and I have no idea how to order a gear that will fit with proper shaft length. they have a series but the ports are not boss or npt, and its a 'transmissiion flange' mount.

Stones gears are too big with the coupling section, 2 gears spinning 3.5cm/rev each does not need to displace 150cubes in my oil tank, 50 at the max.. and they wont even respond to my emails anyway.

Maybe those are questions I should be asking. DC Motor is 9 spline, I dont know if coulpings can be ordered in different lengths? How much does the drive shaft stick out of a certai gear? They dont specify in catalogues I've seen..

How am I suppossed to know this stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back