Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

2 Phase Flow Spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do it in MathCAD and take all of the correlations with a large grain of salt. A couple of ergs of energy one way or another and the flow regime changes and the correlation is out the window. I like both Duckler and Flannigan for the problems they are suited for, but no correlation, calculation, or spreadsheet will work for the subtleties that are rife in this field.

David

Probably not much difference in overall results between a good design done using a spreadsheet or Winsim or Olga or any other tool, when you consider the changing flows patterns you get out of a gathering system over the life of the field and a spreadsheet is faster. Take all 2-phase results not only with a grain of salt.. 2x800 mg asprin also helps.

BigInch[worm]-born in the trenches.

Binginch (-:

BTW the predicted SS pressure drop will differ much from model to model and will predict eg different pipe sizes and different size for slug catchers etc.

Best regards Morten

Right. I take the maximum dP of several predictors using all basic elevation profiles.

I wouldn't trust any prediction of slug size. Trying to get a conservative bracket, do you think sizing using a slug based on a volume determined by using the diameter and maximum outlet pressure's ability to lift a column of liquid with a given SG would do it?

Well - just as often as not wee will quite simply say twice the riser volume for a remote tie-in via a multiphase pipwline.

This seems to work - but n the other hand - I have never had a decent feed back from the operators who has to struggle with this set up so....

Being a consultant i have found an increasing demand for doing more detailed calculations. What the actual cause of this increase is dont really know. One guess could be that the models _are_ getting better and the computing time is getting down to a reasonable level?

Best regards

Morten

That sounds reasonable for a configuration that has a well defined "riser", such as I imagine you are describing, a 2-phase gathering flow line to a production platform. Where an outlet configuration might have a gradual profile, it would be difficult to evaluate that length parameter.

Data input and interpretation time increase as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back