Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

2" -0.003/-0.007 allowed in asme y14.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouing

Mechanical
Jun 8, 2007
CA
I had a badly fabricated pin where on the drawing it was indicated 2" -.003/-0.007 and they machined it at 2" exactly (+/-0.0005). I've been in the code asme y14.5 1994 but it is not clear.

Code just claim we can put fit tolerance (where we have -/-) for metric fit. Other examples are just with (+/-)

On the drawing it was the stacked version but still with 2 minus signs.

Do you think it can be misleading as a quote or it is obvious for whomever should be working with drawing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Y14.5M-1982 shows some examples of +0/-X unilateral tolerances and +X/-X or +/-X Bilateral tolerances. The text itself states:

They also have a recommended metric tolerancing setup:

30 f7 (29.980)
(29.959)

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

Sorry I cut off the text halfway through writing it after just copying the examples for the fit tolerances. Forgive them not lining up. Doesn't work so well in a little text box.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

What version of 14.5? A quick look at ASME Y14.5M-1994 section 2 doesn't explicitly address the issue. It too mentions metric limits & fits.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

ANSI Y14.5M-1982 Section 2.2.1.1

It has a figure with the above example as a recommendation when a system is introduced by an organization.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

My opinion though is it should be changed to a base number +x/-x or +0/-x just as easily as what they left it, without the confusion of having double negative tolerancing.

I've seen it before, but I don't like it for the reason you're posting.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

For people who've worked metric limits & fits or other systems where similar is used it's not really a problem.

For people that haven't worked in such systems though it can be confusing, they may assume the upper value should be +ive. Of course, if not sure they should ask whoever they got the drawing from and so on back to the designer/custodian, but that doesn't always happen.

Like the example though, usually you'd have a nominal dimension calling out the metric fit tolerance right next to it. That's the way I've always seen it personally.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

While I have seen it used, I have also seen parts made under the incorrect assumption that the tolerance was ± almost as often.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Not sure about usually, at least your usual may not match mine.

I think I've seen it with rivet holes, the hole size is given as the nominal rivit dia. The tolerances are then +/+ these weren't to any metric shaft fit basis or whatever. They were in good old fashioned inch, based on the tolerance in the rivit spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back