Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 speed pool pump motor 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poolworx

Electrical
Aug 30, 2022
US
Hi all I'm hoping I can get a little help understanding the winding of a single phase 2 speed electric pool pump motor

Are the windings wired in parallel or series

Thanks in anticipation
Pool_motor_wwindings_ajyfhy.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Mr. Poolworx
Please take a picture of the 2-speed motor name plate. There may be some information on the terminal connection for different voltages or different speeds. In general, single-phase motors are designed for single speed. For 2-speeds, there may be 3-4 terminal for different voltages or speeds.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Thanks Che Kuan Yau

This is the spec off eBay

Specifications
Model: VVPS215BUS
Material: ABS
Voltage: 230 V/ 60 Hz
Horse Power: 1.5 HP
Power Supply: 1100 W
High Speed Rotating: 3450 RPM
Low Speed Rotating: 1750 RPM
High Speed Max. Flow Rate: 340L per min./ 90 GPM
Low Speed Max. Flow Rate: 159L per min./ 42 GPM
High Speed Max. Head Lift: 49 ft/ 15 m
Low Speed Max. Head Lift: 10 ft/ 3 m
High Speed Amps: 4.8 A
Low Speed Amps: 2.2 A
Water Temperature: 0-40℃/ 32-104 °F
Interfaces Diameter: 1-1/2"

connection_instructions_kola20.jpg
connections_2_sk1ui1.jpg
connections_gb4hwn.jpg
hi_lo_switch_ofwawc.jpg
name_plate_xyi0dt.jpg
terminal_block_ta3yax.jpg

In your last photo, the common would seem to be the black wire?

Looks like it then a mixture of a 4 pole (low speed) or 2 pole (high speed) motor

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

So from that i came up with a newbies electrical diagram so please bare with me :( The first one is hoe i interpreted the 2 main windings Hi & Low sped as being wired in series. The second is the same but wired in parallel

So im trying to figure would the internal run windings be in series or parallel

Thanks again for every ones input much appreciated
Pool_motor_windings_series_az33fv.jpg
Pool_motor_windings_parallel_ymhtfh.jpg

Dear Mr. Poolworx
1. Based on the schematic and the terminal connection, the windings are in series.
2. Connection: Green conductor to GRD terminal, Neutral to L2. [always]
(a) Hi-speed: Line to L1, (b) Lo-speed: Line to A.
3. If you wish to be speed selectable, add an external single-pole Hi Lo switch. Connect Line to the [common* pole of the switch] ; (a)Hi-speed: common* to L1; (b) Lo-speed: common* to A.
4. BTW: the centrifugal switch shown in red in N.O. is incorrect. It should be N.C. when the motor is stationary=stop; open when the motor is up to speed, switching off the start capacitor.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Thanks che12345

So the top diagram i drew is in series and bottom is in parallel therefore am i correct in concluding you are saying that the internal windings of a single phase 2 speed motor are connected in series as per the top drawing ?

Thanks

Dear Mr. Poolworx
"...So the top diagram i drew is in series and bottom is in parallel therefore am i correct in concluding you are saying that the internal windings of a single phase 2 speed motor are connected in series as per the top drawing ? "
1. Based on the diagram, the windings are in series.
2. Attention: is this diagram is the actual internal wiring by the manufacturer for THIS motor ? . If positive, fine.
3. BTW: NOT all 2-speed motors [must be wound in series]. There are numerous variants on the market. Use the diagram that comes with the equipment.
4. Proposal: use a simple off-lo-hi switch instead of two double-pole relays would be simple in wiring and lower cost.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Poolworx said:
i wanted to understand how the inner windings were wired
If you want to know what the internal connection of this motor is, you have to take it apart, inspect it and record it.
There are so many different internal connections for 2/4 pole single phase motors and you can't just guess.
Something similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back