Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Speed Pool Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

eqkimball

Mechanical
May 9, 2007
US
I have a 1.5 hp pump on my pool, a Hayward Super Pump. After some quick-n-dirty calcs and a bit of research, I realize that this pump is more than a little oversized. Hayward has a 2-speed model that looks identical (although discontinued).

My question is, what is unique about the 2-speed motor? Can the single speed motor be modified to run at half speed or full speed? A VFD seems overkill just to save on the electric bill. Anyone have any fresh ideas? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A two speed motor has special windings. No you can't jury rig something.

A VFD is not the best idea either as slowing the pump will likely make it less effective at what it needs to do.

Consider a time clock and running it NORMALLY for a shorter time.

Keith Cress
kcress -

On swapping out to a two speed motor, it is just the motor. Nothing will need to be done to the pump. The electrical will need to be upgraded to operate both speeds (one of the hot legs will need a spdt switch. You will still want the high speed for cleanup, vacuuming, priming, and back washing. You will need to make sure the low speed can work in your system in flow and pressure, eg the pump is not significantly above the pool or other high head loads such as roof mounted solar panels.
Also two speed motors are not voltage switchable, so you need to get the right voltage.

As for time clocks, if your pump ever losses prime, a time clock will kill the seal. I worked as a pool service tech during college, time clocks ensured a steady supply of seal repair jobs, replacement baskets, and warped volutes.

Hydrae

hydrae

He already has a two-speed motor.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back