Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Stroke engine question? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipocoyo

Mechanical
Apr 17, 2016
AU
What material are 2 stroke engines made from? What type of casting are used to produce these engines?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Steel. Aluminum. Rubber. Bronze.

What material is your house made from? The way you asked this question is the same as the way I asked mine.

(Hint: You need to be a lot more specific with your question. The crankshaft is a different material from the cylinder block and that's a different material from the piston)

It depends on what size it is, and if it is meant to run as a heat engine or not. If it is to burn fuel then likely it should not be made of some flammable material. Did you mean what are the various metals they are made from? Again it all depends on what part of the engine your talking about. Small weed eater engines the crankcase/cylinder block can be made from some sort of aluminum alloy, a large marine engine the same parts are steel, on the old not manufactured for trucks any more 2 strokes the same parts were made from cast iron. Small engines are most always die cast, cast iron is mostly sand cast. You can use what ever type of casting you wish and can afford for the small engine crank case. Even machine it from a solid block.

Thanks for the answers! To be more specific the 2 stroke engine I was referring to was the one found inside lawn mowers. TO my understanding, they are made from aluminium alloys and are made from die casting. Just wanted to confirm as I am still new!

At lawn mower scale (both size and sales volume), die casting becomes economical.
Material choices may include aluminum alloys or zinc alloys.

At smaller scales, I have had a couple of lawn edger motors with aluminum cylinders and injection molded plastic crankcases.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Why is die casting more economical in the long run than sand casting? Isn't the pattern from the mold reusable for sand casting while for die casting its a limited amount of times?

Every sand-casting repetition requires rebuilding of the sand mould, sand removal from the component, recycling of sand etc etc.

Apart from a bit of mould release agent, die-cast components are simply churned out until the dies need maintenance or replacement.

je suis charlie

And die castings can create many surfaces and features that can be practically used "as-is." Cast holes suitable for self tapping fasteners, even some gasket surfaces.

Most lawn mower engines I have seen are air-cooled, flat-head, 4-strokes. Die cast aluminum blocks and heads, sand cast steel cranks, die cast aluminum rods and pistons.

2-stroke engines used for chain saws or weed wackers usually have aluminum die cast cylinder/heads and crankcases, die cast aluminum pistons, sand cast steel cranks and rods.

Lawn Boy made nice 2 stroke mowers for years, unfortunately EPA regs killed them off several years ago. I bought one the last year they were sold, very good mower for the money. Depending on how much you mow, they can uses less oil than a 4 stroke since there is no crankcase oil to change every year.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back