Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2004 - 2005 step import

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavierStokesEq

Automotive
Feb 8, 2004
GB
Hi all,

I have noticed something that you all might be able to able with. I have a step assembly file that when i import into SW 2004 I am able to open the parts and edit them (including cuts and chamfers, etc) I.E - its a full part. However, when I import to SW 2005, and open a part, the part it only surfaces and I can not edit the part.

Anyone have any ideas on why this is?

Many thanks
Russ

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With STEP importation - you should only get bodies not full editable features, unless you uses Featureworks to convert them to Features.

With SW check your Import options to make sure you have "try to convert to solid" Turned on. If not that would be why, otherwise SW05 can't make it into a solid and you should send that into your VAR. That would be considered a Regression.

However remember it doens't matter if it's 04 or 05, neither one can convert STEP to editable features, unless you used FeatureWorks or it was already saved using FeatureWorks.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

Hi Scott,

It does not import as feature, but as a solid part in SW4, but only as surfaces in SW5.

I have not come across your termanology before, what is sending it to VAR

VAR= Value Added Reseller. It is the person or company that the software should ahve been pruchased from, responsible for technical support of its customers.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

[qoute]It does not import as feature, but as a solid part in SW4, but only as surfaces in SW5.[/quote]

OK did you check your Options when you go to open a STEP file? THere is where you set it up to make a solid or a surface.

1) File\Open
2) Highlight the file
3) Pick "Option" Button
4) Set "Try forming a solid"
5) OK
6) Open

See MM poast above about a VAR.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users