Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

2004 Bystronic BySpeed 3015 4.4kW Air Compressor/Dryer Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupdogg

Mechanical
Aug 12, 2016
US
Hi guys, I'm back with another question for the Bystronic heads! Since this is my first laser, it's been a learning process. My question is: what would you guys recommend as a reasonable compressor that comes with a dryer for this laser? I've been looking at some Kaeser models but am not sure what the SCFM and PSI requirements really are for this machine? Our installation tech, who is not here yet, suggested that we need at least a 10HP compressor with a dryer...and we currently have a 7.5HP/80-gal. Ingersoll-Rand that can provide 27.2SCFM @ 90PSI or 25.1SCFM @ 175PSI....will this do as long as we add a compressor to it? Since we are a small shop, we do not intend to use any other air tools while using the laser. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated! Even eBay links to some suggested compressors and/or dryers would help. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On the byspeed you can cut way back on the beam delivery purge air. They set it at 3 bar, you can run about 10 psi you'll have to adjust the low pressure switch. This will cut way down on the air consumption.

On each axis on a bystronic there are 2 bellows, the beam only goes through one, the other one is simply for keeping the beam delivery bellows from collapsing or blowing up.When you move an axis one bellows opens and the othe r bellows closes and pushes all it's air into the one that is opening. Constant volume system.

On some bystronics they only used one bellows on the Y axis and if you moved the axis real fast the bellows could collapse on the beam and catch on fire,They cranked the beam purge air way up to combat this. Eventually they went back to having a balance bellows on each axis but never turned the beam purge pressure down.

If you see the bellows collapsing then turn the pressure back up a little.

Chris Krug Maximum Up-time, Minimum BS

@krugtech, thank you so much for your feedback. here are a few pictures of our Bystronic BySpeed. Looks like we have 2 bellows. Please excuse the mess as I'm going through revamping the entire machine to make it brand new and giving it a paint re-haul. So you're thinking that we should be fine with 3 bar constant pressure? I guess I was trying to understand if we could use our existing air compressor (Ingersoll-Rand 7.5HP/80-gal. that can provide 27.2SCFM @ 90PSI or 25.1SCFM @ 175PSI) or do we need to buy a more nicer rotary screw compressor of 10HP or higher? If we can use the existing compressor, are there any specific dryers that you recommend? Thank you again!

yTZQ1YN_x4x4zr.jpg

7vBvL3J_be2rse.jpg

smfPiUA_yxv1ke.jpg

rL2izDx_w3nguk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back