Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2007 Flaky with Lightweight mode, Large Assembly mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

bri011

Electrical
Sep 11, 2006
US
I've been running 2007 for about two weeks with almost no problems. Yesterday, I checked the "Automatically load components lightweight" option, and I modeled a display that took me over the "Large Assembly Mode" minimum. Since then, I've had issue after issue. Like:

-Parts becoming permanently suppressed in assembly configurations (can't unsupress)
-Parts disappearing in assemblies
-C++ runtime errors & crashes
-ALL features of a part disappearing (becomes empty)
-Can't open file (wrong type?) messages

This went on all day. Near the end of the day, I unchecked the lightweight option, and turned off Large Assembly Mode. After that, everything seemed to settle down.

I know I can submit this stuff to my VAR. I'm wondering if anybody else has seen any of this type of behavior. My gut tells me that it has something to do with Lightweight mode and with configurations-they're not playing together.

My hope is that this has already been addressed in SP1.0. Just thought I'd ask. Thanks,

Brian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I remember having a similar problem when 2005 came out, with parts becoming perm. supressed, and features disappearing in light weight mode.

Wes C.
------------------------------
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Brian,

I hope you're beta testing this before introducing 2007 sp0 into your production data. I will not use 2007 on my production data until I know it's stable.

I'm using 2007 in "production" for a project (series of animations), since the animator in 2007 made the animation flow more evenly. However, with huge assemblies I'm noticing some strange things--I think it has something to do with how the RAM is managed by SW.

Whatever you do, don't add components to folders (in the tree) in an assembly and then rearrange folders (in fact, you might not want to add folders at all). This will immediately trash your assembly and you won't get it back (all parts instantly freeze in space and cannot be moved). The file is thereafter corrupted.

Definitely let your VAR know what you see and send them the files if necessary--this will contribute toward making more effective service packs. Heckler is right about the risk of using SP 0 (in any version) for production use--they just don't have much error-rooting behind them yet.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

I am having the same issues here with our large assys. However it doesn't seem to matter if I have Large Assy mode turned off or on, or Lightweight or resolved components. I am not getting the C++ errors though.

I also checked the SPRs for SP1.0, and do not see anything that addresses this issue.

SolidWorks 2006 SP4.1
Intel Xeon 2.8GHz 2GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back