Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2007 Sketcher Triad

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWISGR8

Mechanical
Oct 20, 2005
US
What the HE*%*%^ has SW done to the Triad ... I have not tried a lot of situations to get a real good handle on it, but in a basic part - no prob, but when doing in context editing, it is so confused !!!! I mean, when dragging along 1 direction it isnt hard to see that it is completely confused with coordination between mouse drag and entity movement. And it is even extrememly stubborn when I try to move the Triad around and/or attach it to an endpoint or anything. Anyone have a scoop on this ?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What are you trying to accomplish? I'm assuming you are sketching in 3D? HIT THE TAB KEY to toggle planes

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he'

Ah, sketcher Triad.....RMB show sketcher triad (notice center of triad is blue). Click on the center of triad (notice it turned to gold). Now RMB chose move to selection. Then pick the element on the sketch where you want the triad...bam. There are other options by picking different planes on the triad.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he'

Oh, the 3D sketch triad. So you have difficulty only when editing a 3D sketch in the context of an assembly? You say it's confused and stubborn, but I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I don't use that when creating things in-context. Normally I regard all the relationships--particularly within a 3D context--as being quite fragile, and try to avoid creating fragile relationships in my parts/assemblies.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Thanks for all the responses, I'm not having an attitude toward any of them, but I have used it extensively in 2006, and it is not working the same; sometimes, but not always, it loses it's coordination to my mouse movements. i.e. I can be looking directly down the 'z' axis (@ xy plane) and when I move in 'x' direction after selecting that axis in triad, it moves in one of those unstable ways as if I were trying to move in 'z' axis while looking down 'z' axis.

What you say is what I have to do to "free it up" Heckler and then I can drag at will (although not snap to endpt without using RMB in-context menu, etc), but wasnt that way in past, I could just go to it, LMB center, drag to line endpt for example, it snaps in and we're off and running. WRT using tab, yeah I do that at creation, but when editing I can never get anything out of that (if there is a way Id love to be informed). I apologize, for the "stubborn and confused" comment about SW, but it's the best way I can describe what it was doing. Like I said above, imagine sketching in a 2-d plane to which you are looking normal and for which your motions are locked (confirmed), and when you try to drag an end point for example, it moves as if you are moving in the direction normal (ie very drastic and uncontrollable) to the plane even though it's movement stays in the plane as you have dictated (this is the lack of coordination of which I speak).

I hear you entirely on the fragility of in-context relations, however, the triad is in itself not a relation, and when creating certain 3d-sketch-composed objects, in-context is really the best way. I do similar to you by avoiding in-context relations; often when I do actually apply in-context relations for initial creation, if they are not really something for which I require continued parametric behavior, I will delete those relations in the part and define the part intrinsically and then lock it down in the assembly with conventional mates.

It's fine, I just wanted to know if it was something others had come across or some fundamental change in 2007. I can work around it. I think it's just in the context of an assy, works fine in the part (except for node snap), just not as efficient using it there.

Thanks for the time everyone

It sounds like you may have a bug within the context of the assembly--even beyond video card stuff (but that ought to be checked out). Does it act this way in only one assembly, or is it typical of all assemblies? If all, perhaps you should bring this to your VAR and have them fight it a bit to see if they'll report it upstream and get a fix going.

I agree with the in-context stuff--I often build in-context relations out of necessity, but will also delete those relations almost as soon as I make them for keeping things simple--depending on what I need.

Jeff Mowry

Thanks, you gave me hope and I tried, but still does it. It's not completely bad, just when I really need it. I dont know, it's really weird, I have tried to use Rx to show, but Rx bombs out on me ... always has, I can only assume I do something wrong even though it seems to guide you through very thoroughly such as making sure SW is not started prior to making a recording. It bombs after SW loads (SW is fine, just Rx).

Well, I tried that too, and same but then I tried using different components in the assy and all had same problem except 1. It happened to be first one I inserted, and shared origin and planes of assy. But I did some playing around and seems that if component coordinate system is completely coincident with assy (or at least parallel to the planes and in same orientaion the planes are in) then ok. I dont remember being like that when I have done these sketches before but maybe I just never came across. Is that how it is supposed to be? If so, seems kind of specialized and not very versatile. Or is there an option to change?

Others may disagree, but IMO, the fact that Rx crashes and you are having the above problem suggests a faulty install or a hardware/software/firmware conflict.

[cheers]

I have done more work on the assy in the little time since my last post and am pretty sure (at least for how my setup is acting) that my 13:36 post is what's going on. Is that how it is supposed to be? or is it buggy behavior? I agree and wonder the same thing WRT Rx and install or something (fault somewhere). Rx did that on 2006 too (not a software guy, but I imagine some components are shared on this 2007 from 2006, or if it is SW, would it typically be repairing things like that by default on 2007 install ? ). I dont know.

You may have both issues happening here. A clean uninstall/reinstall of all SW stuff may help in one regard.

The mixed orientation of components problems you see may be an overlooked assembly editing glitch or it may also be solved by a new uninstall/reinstall (check out the FAQs if you want to pursue that--vital info there on doing it right and clearing registry glitches in the process).

I think CorBlimeyLimey is right.

Jeff Mowry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back