Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2008 SP0.1 Install issues - imac bootcamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

oompaloompa

Mechanical
Jan 26, 2007
US
I purchased a new 24" imac and finally got around to installing Boot Camp. I installed windows xp with little problem.

I began installing SW2008 using the DVD. Prior to install it informed me of the SP0.1 update and asked me if I wished to download. I did. It took about 4 hours.

When it finished and began to install, I was prompted that a certain slddim\temp directory could not be found. I looked all over for this directory within the Solidworks 2008 SP0.1 folder. I even found some of the files it was attempting to find in the "temp" folder, however, the installer is not seeing these files. It keeps prompting me to manually find the folder.

Has anyone else experienced this? How did you resolve it? More than likely I will end up just installing 0.0 and attempt to upgrade if that install goes well, but wanted some other ideas first.

Thanks,

Michael

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thanks. i'll give that a shot. it was very late when i was doing this and obviously wasn't thinking clearly.

i'll report back on the performance for anyone interested in how SW runs on a mac.

michael

I'm finally up and running. I'm not sure what the experience is for all the windows users, but the update would not install without the 0.0 being installed first. I was under the impression that 0.1 might be installed without it, since the Installation Manager alerted me to the new service pack (and prompted me to install it) during the course of the 0.0 install.

So far, 2008 runs very smoothly on the imac. I haven't had a chance to see how it handles large assemblies yet though. I haven't noticed anything abnormal as far as functionality or graphics issues go.

So if anyone is in the same boat as me and wanted to jump ship to apple, it can now be done with little headache.

-Michael
24" imac
Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard)

I'm familiar with that thread.

My setup is slightly different as i'm using the new "aluminum" imac which sports faster cpu, upgraded graphics card, and Bootcamp "built in" to the new OSX 10.5.

My post was more for someone considering the new imac/leopard OS who needs to use SW2008 lightly to moderately, and wanted to avoid the whole bootcamp/parallels confusion/debate.

Thanks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back