Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

2015 IBC Scissor Stair Issue 4 Story Condo

Status
Not open for further replies.

cap4000

Civil/Environmental
Sep 21, 2003
US
Can anyone provide any info on a scissor stair being 2 stairs and not one. I have an 8 inch block wall dividing the stair, sprinklers, steel pan stairs concrete filled, fireproofing and 5/8 F.C. sheetrock. Below is the code section. Thanks in advance for any help.
1007.1.1 Two Exits or Exit Access Doorways

Where two exits, exit access doorways, exit access stairways or ramps, or any combination thereof, are required from any portion of the exit access, they shall be placed a distance apart equal to not less than one-half of the length of the maximum overall diagonal dimension of the building or area to be served measured in a straight line between them. Interlocking or scissor stairways shall be counted as one exit stairway. 

Exceptions:

1. Where interior exit stairways or ramps are interconnected by a 1-hour fire-resistance-rated corridor conforming to the requirements of Section 1020, the required exit separation shall be measured along the shortest direct line of travel within the corridor. 

2. Where a building is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinklersystem in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2, the separation distance shall be not less than one-third of the length of the maximum overall diagonal dimension of the area served.

1007.1.1.1 Measurement Point

The separation distance required in Section 1007.1.1 shall be measured in accordance with the following: 

1. The separation distance to exit or exit access doorways shall be measured to any point along the width of the doorway. 

2. The separation distance to exit access stairways shall be measured to the closest riser. 

3. The separation distance to exit access ramps shall be measured to the start of the ramp run.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the stairs are completely separated, it seems to me that they are 2 separate stairs, not a scissor stair. See Scissor Stairway in the Chapter 3 Definitions.

"Two interlocking stairways providing two separate paths of egress located within one exit enclosure".

Sounds to me your stairs are not within one exit enclosure.

All I know is P/A and Mc/I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back