Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

20ish CFM, 40ish inches of water, 120V 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

handleman

Automotive
Jan 7, 2005
US
I'm not having much luck with my Google-fu at the moment... Does anyone have a lead on a rather small high-pressure blower? I only need about 20cfm at about 40" of water. I've found plenty of regenerative blowers that can hit that pressure and be at like 700CFM to boot, but just about all of them are 208 or even 3 phase. I need it to run continuously on household 120VAC for days. I'd also rather not use something that's ridiculously over spec, but that would probably be acceptable. No real noise limit. I'd rather not use an actual compressor or big tank of compressed air due to contamination issues.

I tested out my plug-in leaf blower, but even though it claims a super high velocity and flow rate (which I didn't measure), it makes no claim on pressure. So I measured it. Even dead-headed it only pushed about 25" of water.

I see lots of things like this: which don't list any pressure spec, but claim to work for boat lifts. One source I found said the lift tanks are "1 to 3 psi" when the boat is lifted I may have to buy-and-try?

No relation to bradjames or his project ... :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To get flow, you have to have sufficient pressure to push through the resistance. The process this will hook up to provides a resistance to airflow such that achieving the desired flow rate requires 40" of water. My leaf blower can't even reach 40" of water. If I hooked up my leaf blower, I'd get some flow but not enough.

Check out a fan curve... Pressure and flow are inversely related for any given fan/blower/etc, but it always tops out at some pressure at zero flow. I need a blower that is strong enough to push that flow rate at that pressure.

I found the GAST R3105-12 looks to be about right. Well, except for the price. I was hoping for around $100 instead of around $1000, but that may not exist.

image_tgcjgk.png

Start hunting using that Gast model. There used to be a few people making knock-off of their stuff.
Like a Yashiba HG-550 regen or a Zhenglin ZLE-50 roots blower.
I hate to suggest this but Alibaba may be the place to look.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy

Your research will be a dog. Nonetheless check out some distributors such as Grainger for blowers and hone in on blowers that come close to your specifications. Once you have a selection draw the fan curve based on given data of static pressures vs. flow rates at the given RPM; then apply the fan affinity laws for different RPM's on that same graph. That procedure may require several curves on that graph paper. If the given data is insufficient, ask the Grainger representative to put you in touch with the manufacturer of your selected piece of equipment.

If you have the room, get a blower that is not close coupled with the motor. That way you can change sheaves to get what you need with a motor you can power.

Ron has a good idea as I had to do that with a belt driven motor on a heating oven. Nonetheless the application of the affinity law still apply when you change the size of the sheaves. Don't forget to evaluate the current usage when you change the sheaves to make sure the circuit breaker or fuses are not oversized or undersized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back