Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

20MVA Dual Voltage Transformer 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

eepup

Electrical
Sep 13, 2005
US
Has anyone heard of or worked with a 20MVA, 12kV (21kV) / 4160V Dual Voltage (Primary) Transformer (i.e. switchable between 12kV and 21kV on the primary)? If so, does anyone have any leads or manufacture recommendations?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I bought one about this size and rating a few years ago from Delta-Star. But I am sure many of the other transformer suppliers can provide one: GE Prolec, Waukesha, Crompton Greaves, Virginia, ABB, Areva, Pennslyvania Transformer, and others.

I have once specified much smaller ratings of dual voltage 13.2kV (4.8kV) primary to 480/277V sec. transformers. So I would think they are available in larger rating. It may be special order, but so are most 20MVA units I would say. I dont recall specaill mfr. but it was open to all bidders.

If in the USA try ABB and Cooper Industries..

This should not be a problem for any major transformer manufacturer. We routinely specify dual rated primary windings for substation transformers in that size range.

ABB, Pauwels, Waukesha (if still a going concern), et al.

I just bought a 18/24/30MVA with a 69kV-115kV (dual primary) to 13.8kV (secondary) from Delta-Star for a client. Dual primary is not a concern. ABB, Virginia Transformer and Waukesha are still around. I heard VT was going to be Areava soon.

Dual ratio need not be confined to primary alone.Remember making a batch of 10 MVA trfs,40 years back, for a utility with 110-66/33-11 Kv voltage ratios.Voltage ratios on primary and secondary was changed using externally operated DETCs.Some times this is made by changing links inside transformer.All good trf designers know the tricks for this.With matured power systems, need for muti ratio trfs is coming down as utilities are rationalising the voltage systems in their grids.

Dumbo2929:

I am looking at buying a very similar unit next year (15/20/25 MVA, 69kV-115 kV primary to 12.47 kV), and Delta Star has been getting all of our business lately. Is there any chance I could get a copy of the spec. you used, or at the least the portion that refers to the dual winding?

Thanks ~ Randy
rterickson@tid.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back