2205 Welding to Shell DEP

Status
Not open for further replies.

InspectorWilly

Mechanical
Apr 25, 2013
US
All,

I am trying to get some weld procedures for 2205 qualified to Shell DEP 30.10.60.18, and it is not going so well. We have the following parameters:

GTAW Process with 98% Argon/2% Nitrogen. We are keeping heat input below 1.5 kJ/mm with the following variables:

Voltage - 14-15
Amperage - 80-100
Travel Speed - 60-70 mm/min
Interpass - 200F Max

Filler is ER 2209.

We are having problems with ASTM G48 testing on the weld coupons when we use higher heat input (about 2kJ/mm and 250F max interpass)
However, when we used the above variables, corrosion testing was fine per customer spec (<4g loss per m2), but we wind up with lack of fusion in the roots.
Forced Cooling was also used between weld runs to minimize cooling period to below max interpass to ensure minimal formation of delta ferrite.

I am wondering if I use a superduplex filler such as 2594 that has the higher nitrogen content for pitting corrosion resistance and go to pure Argon if that would help my welders get better fusion while maintaining nitrogen content of the weld for pitting corrosion. Any input or experience with 2205 welding with Shell DEP's would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, everything was about as clean as we could get. Brand new tungsten was used, new gloves, base material and fillers were wiped down with alcohol. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back