Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

220V CONVERSION? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trhogan

Mechanical
Apr 9, 2000
US
I'm currently faced with a problem of converting a 220v supplied mechanism to battery operated.  Is this possible first, and secondly where would I start?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you can determine the wattage required of the 220v device you may find a fit with a true sine wave invertor from <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> available for all standard battery systems and can be purchased with buit-in chargers. <p>David Baird<br><a href=mailto:dbaird@gemcity.com>dbaird@gemcity.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>EET degree.<br>
Journeyman Electrician.

Since the details about the mechanism is not mentioned, I see two cases:<br><br>Case 1:<br><br>If the actual mechanism has an in-built&nbsp;&nbsp;rectifier/regulator and all the power is drawn from the output of the recctified supply, I feel it's much better to bypass the AC section, and directly feed with a DC. This is advisable because <br>i) it's pretty costly to go for an inverter<br>ii) it's unnecessary to have a DC-AC inverter and then an AC-DC converter, if you can straightaway supply DC.<br>Depending on the DC voltages and power consumption, you may need to go for DC regulators. Still, this'll be cheaper than an inverter.<br><br>Case 2:<br><br>If the mechanism uses AC: Then, there's no other alternative- you've to go for an inverter, as suggested by dbaird above.<br><br>In both cases, a study of the power consumption of the mechanism is of utmost importance.<br><br>Regards<br> <p>Narayanan UM<br><a href=mailto:umn@ieee.org>umn@ieee.org</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back