Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

230V 50Hz to 110V 60Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

mithko

Electrical
Oct 9, 2005
ZA
I live in South Africa where we use 230V@50Hz (yes there is electricity in Africa :)). I bought some device that has battery charger with a 110V@60Hz ac input.
1. Is there a device I could use that takes in the
230V@50Hz and converts to 110V@60Hz?
2. If not could I just get a transformer to step down the
voltage from 230V to 110V and not worry about the
frequency. In this case I would just have to charge the
battery for longer - will this work?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should check with the manufacturer. However 230 to 110 step down transformer are common. However be careful that you are buying a transformer, as some companies will try to sell you a diode for the conversition (works with lightbulbs).

Some devices may use a type of switching power supply and may not work on 50 HZ. However many devices, like transformers, don't give much of a care (may effect the losses).

I really don't have much information to go on here.

A switcher would do better than a real transformer.

A 60hz transformer will likely overheat on 50 Hz; maybe slightly, maybe destructively.

Tell us more specifics on the charger.

Yes, look for a 230:110V, 50 Hz transformer.
In this part of the 60 Hz world, 120V is the standard voltage. 110V, 60 Hz sounds like something out of China.
You may want to recheck the specs.
A cheap and dirty battery charger won't care much about the frequency. A battery charger with lots of bells and whistles may have issues.
With a name and model number someone here may be able to check it out.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

A cheap and dirty battery charger won't care much about the frequency. A battery charger with lots of bells and whistles may have issues.

I must disagree; we do not know enough to say that it won't smoke on 50 Hz.

Is this a cell phone charger, or a lift truck's? 50 ma at 3 v; or 5000 amps at 48? Is it ferroresonant, or 500 khz switcher?

As 'fsck' pointed out, we need to know what this charger is. In many cases it would be less expensive to buy a new battery charger than a transformer to convert the voltage (let alone the frequency question).

Mithko,
You can use the 110V/50Hz transformer for battery charging. You required more time for battery charging. But no effect on your device.
Tushar

Based on the lack of information provided by the OP ("some device"), it's not reasonable to provide a definitive and reassuring answer without any qualifications or limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back