Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

230V Socket outlet and 415V Welding Outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Histor

Electrical
Mar 2, 2022
SG
Hi,
Could you please help me to understand if there are any standards that states the Coverage area for Convenience 230V and Welding 415V outlets?

I just want to know how many meters an 230V Socket can cover and How many meters 415V welding outlet can cover?

Based on my past experience we have followed that the 230V outlet can cover 10m radius and 415V welding outlet can cover 30m radius. Please share your experience and standards if any. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure exactly what you are asking for?
But if you have 1 phase + N + PE > 230VAC then 2 phases or 3 phase +N +PE it should be 400 VAC not 415V?

If the question is how long a cable can be in each case it depends on the distance between the fuse and the effect source, the effect used, type of fuss and the cable area of the cables used.

This is SE standard so you need to check if this complies where you are too.
But the basic principle should be the same.

Martin_SEdin_egipsp.jpg

The table is for 400VAC and copper cable, cable temp 55C.
If you have 230VAC you dived the the length with 2 for the same load current (A) and if you use aluminum with 1,6.

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

RedSnake said:
But if you have 1 phase + N + PE > 230VAC then 2 phases or 3 phase +N +PE it should be 400 VAC not 415V?

Suspect the OP is in the UK, where "230" means "240 or thereabouts". Another example of British and International English being just different enough to confuse us all.

A.

No he is in Singapore (230VAC 400VAC 50Hz), but it doesn't mean that what he is doing are suppose to be used there though.

Albert Einstein

Dear Mr. Histor (Electrical)
1. I am in Singapore. I confirmed that what the learned Mr. RedSnake states "... in Singapore (1-phase 230VAC, 3-phase 400VAC, 50Hz), but it doesn't mean that what he is doing are suppose to be used there though".
2. Mr. RedSnake states "....If the question is how long a cable can be in each case it depends on the distance between the fuse and the effect source, the effect used, type of fuss and the cable area of the cables used." is basic EE.
3. In general:
(a) 1-phase (230V) welders are of lower rating than a 3-phase (400V).
(b) if both welders are of the same rating; a 3-phase (400V) welder draws lower current. Therefore: (i) smaller conductor size for the same distance, or (ii) longer distance for the same conductor size.
(c) What is important is the voltage at the welder input terminals when the equipment is loaded at the rated capacity. A voltage-drop of 5% would be fine. If excessive, either increase the conductor size or shorten the distance, or both.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Hi Che12345, just a note: Redsnake is a very knowledgeable woman - don't know if Miss, Mrs or Ms.
Perhaps she will chip in and correct us all?

Cheers
Harry

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement.

I would like to say Miss ;-) but I guess Ms would be more proper. [smile]

Albert Einstein

Dear Miss; oh no, Ms RedSnake (Electrical)19 Dec 22 05:04
1. Thank you Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms, Mdm, Dr or .... etc. etc. ....Pud (Mechanical) for pointing out my mistake. My sincere apology to Ms RedSnake.
2. Just a note. I am not [Hi Che 12345] either. I am [Mr. Che]. But I guess [Che] would be more proper.
3. Ho, ho, ho....merry Christmas and a happy new year.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

No problem. [bigsmile]
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone. [santa2]

Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back