Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

23K column load on cantilevered slab 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake AA

Structural
Jul 7, 2022
US
Currently designing a custom home with a 23.1k (15.4D / 7.7L) loaded column at the edge of a 4'-0" max cantilevered slab with 10" backspan thickness, and 24" cantilevered thickness. The 24" cantilevered thickness can be used at the column but will be furred to depth elsewhere to reduce weight. Do my structural engineering friends have any pointers or areas of concern that I should calc for? I was going to design a cantilevered concrete beam to pick up the column load and transition to a grade beam at the back span. Is this a bad idea or are there better ideas for this situation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

...designing a custom home with a 23.1k... loaded column at the edge of a... cantilevered slab...

Are you confident that the contractor who gets this job is competent to build a heavily loaded, elevated, cantilevered slab in strict compliance with your plans & specs?

Do you require qualified, independent, field construction management who reports directly to you in near-real-time?

Seems sketch AF to me. Since you max moment will be at the 10"/24" interface, I am not sure how the 24" depth is helping you.
Maybe post some sketches (no pun intended!)

I'm all for discreet load paths...give it a clearly defined beam with a constant depth through its length. I hope you know what you're doing...those loads are pretty extreme for single family residential. If the contractor even thinks about ignoring your drawings (as so many residential contractors do), somebody could easily get hurt.

I'm not sure what your question is. If I'm to guess that your intention may be to design something like in the following sketch, this seems like a very bad idea.

sketchy_slab_c2mfoq.jpg

If this is your intention, you might as well just design the whole thing as 10" thick (which I will guess has zero chance of possibly working). There is no point in having a deep cantilevered span transition sharply to a shallow backspan. Maybe gradually tapering back could work.

A detail and/or additional explanation on your part would be beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back