Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

24 Volt DC UPS System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbawn

Electrical
Jan 12, 2021
CA
Hi All, We have a number of data loggers deployed in the field recording data from various sensors. They all require 24 Volt DC power supplies and each draws about 950mA. To ensure that they keep running during interruptions to the mains I would like to connect them to a UPS.

I have found a couple of suitable devices manufactured by MEANWELL. Anybody have experience with this device from MEANWELL Will it do the job? Any suggestions for other devices?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Gban; Meanwells tend to be fairly solid for Chineseium stuff. I even actually believe their approvals are real - unlike most.

Caveats:
1) Their noise or ripple ratings are usually lousy. Check that what it delivers won't mess with your data loggers.

2) Some of their measurements tend to be done in some way that hammers their output noise but that you might not be adding to your setup, making the noise much worse.

3) ALL their supplies of any kind have jaw dropping inrush currents. Make sure this won't cause your line supply to choke or the blinks that they always cause don't create problems for you.

If you can see your way thru these things then they're a great bargain.

Let us know how it works out.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Thanks Guys.

itsmoked, that info is useful. The main thing that attracted me to the MEANWELL was the reasonable cost. LionelHutz I'm pretty sure the MEANWELL DRC-40B (described in the link) can be set up to provide a DC UPS system by adding a battery. It's clearly described in the datasheet. However, that is kind of what i was looking for feedback on as I wasn't sure how well it performs when used as a UPS. ThE Phoenix Quint4 might be a better system but also appears more costly. MEANWELL also make the DR-UPS40 which is setup in a similar way to the Phoenix system (i.e. 24VDC power supply, UPS module and battery).It also has a much higher rated current (40 Amps) which is higher than the DRC-40B (0.95A). Our loggers only draw about 0.95A.

Im not sure which would be the best setup to go with which is what I was hoping to get some feedback on.

Ben

Lionel is correct; Meanwell's product does not include the battery, so it's incomplete as a UPS. This can be seen in the datasheet on the Digikey webpage for the product: it's a power supply with a battery charging function for a parallel battery. So, if a battery is added to the product, it could possibly function as a UPS.

Clipboard01_rpb2bg.png

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

IR; Well of course you need to add a battery but that's all you have to add and you even get to pick 12 or 24V whatever suits your fancy. This is designed for an industrial roll-your-own UPS because they don't know if you want to use a 5Ahr gelcell or a pair of 8D truck batteries in series.

Lionel; It took me a while to notice this. LOL

ice_screenshot_20210305-192949_cuqzwu.png

Keith Cress
kcress -

It's a clever marketing twist - since it doesn't seem to have much awareness of battery charge state or battery condition. Probably it would be better to use a battery management solution that can maintain the charge and periodically perform capacity testing. They probably cost more, but are less likely to dump current into dead batteries which fail when the power goes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back