Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

240V single phase supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashbeel6

Electrical
Dec 21, 2002
CA
I need to provide single phase 240V, 150 Amps to a modular trailer complex that is consist of HVAC, Water heaters, Misc appliances, lighting and receptacles.The only source available is 3Ph, 600V, 700Amps. I intend to use a 125KVA, 600/120-240 single phase transformer to obtain 240V single phase, any suggestion or concern is highly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good day ashbeel6.
After doing your intention you will have a minimum of 520A
single phase supply at 240V which is more than what you require.
Except when the three phase side needs stability with respect to load balancing, there is no problem.
However, if it warrants, my advice is to use three phase transformer so that it would be possible to connect your loads in such a way that the system would be balanced...also if need be, you have room for more load connections in the future.
Regards

Lucino

From the voltages given, this is probably on the North American continent, where the US National Electrical Code or Canadian Electrical Code applies.

A 125kVA transformer is massively oversized for the described 150 ampere, 120/240V feeder. Under plain-vanilla conditions, a 37.5kVA 600—120/240V dry-type transformer can be safely loaded to 156 amperes on its secondary winding.

For either transformer, a set of fuses or a circuit breaker is needed to serve the transformer primary from the 700-ampere, 600-volt source. Separate, lower-rated overcurrent devices would generally be required for transformer operation. Specific equipment- and transformer-secondary grounding is also needed.

Sometimes a engineer have to resolve problems taking acount the enables materials in his warehouse, 125_KVA it too large power for that load but if you need resolve that problem with urgency and that transformer (125_KVA) it enable for install i said GO!.

Good Luck!

Years ago we had to supply 120/240 single phase to a construction trailer on a site where the only other voltages we had were 46 kv and 277/480. We connected a readily available 7200-277 volt transformer to the 277, then a 7200-120/240 to the output. Worked well for a couple of years.

Norm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back