Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

250 KVA Steam Engine / Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

sancat

Mechanical
Jul 1, 2002
US
I am afraid I am being object of a practical joke. I thought that until I saw the proposal from South American company offering my client the thing he asked for:

A steam engine (with a 16 inch piston) working at 250 psi used to move an electrical generator.

I thought that these times were passed and turbines efficiency was several times higher, but my client insists that a turbine will require a closer supervision, that it is not robust and has a very thin parameter working window, outside of which it will break.

Does anyone around has some lead on how to design a thing like this? Where to find the seals? Or a design draft? I think technology this old shouldn’t have any secrets, I feel it is like mechanical archeology. Alternatively, Does anyone around know a design for a robust turbine this small?

Thanks in advance

Sandro Catanzaro

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks msonnet! I have asked for a quote at spilling. If their price is not very high, and its service is easy, we will recommend it.

When our client showed us a quote to imported this engines, but still asked us to build them, we didnt understand the logic, like you wrote.

However, this machines will be installed in remote places, and the technology has become "exotic", so they prefer to have a local supplier for parts, and service. We wont argue with that...

Sandro

Your prospective client is either very stubborn, very uniformed and/or very understated.

General service steam turbines are quite robust. Yes, of course, they require periodic inspection, but not likely to be any more than what is prudently required of a recip. steam engine.

Small, single stage steam turbines typically are supplied with a "stand-alone" non-circulated lube supply. They have very wide "turn-down", and are capable of operating in quite unfriendly circumstances. Align the darned thing and run it; and with an efficiency that will in many (most?) cases beat a recip.

poetix, thanks,

Do you know where we could buy one of those small turbines? A used one will be better. It should operate in the middle of the jungle.

Thanks again

Sandro

I will respect the non-commercial, non-promotional nature of this web site, and therefore will not name any manufacturers here.

I suggest that you might try a web-search (Google) on "single stage steam turbines". There are many manufacturers in the US and elsewhere in the world.

Steam turbines are frequently used in remote (jungle) sites for sugar and palm oil processing, among their many applications. You should eventually ask to see the relevant experience of any manufacturers that you might consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back