Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

28 kV XLPE Cable with 133% Insulation Level

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivana24

Mechanical
Oct 4, 2007
RS
I have to replace 28kV 1250 kcmil PILC cable with XLPE cable. That was good as long as I calculated with 100% insulation level.

Now I found that my 28kV side is grounded through the reactance what means that 133% insulation level must be provided.

Unfortunately, I can NOT find any vendor selling 28kV XLPE cables with 133% insulation having cross section more than 1000 MCM
( I need 1250 MCM).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi ivana24,

Most manufacturers (Okonite, Prysmian, General Cable, Anixter, etc) will be able to provide this cable, even up to 2500 kcmil. Usually catalogs go up to 1000 kcmil.

If you give them a call and ask I am pretty sure they will meet your needs. A 1250 kcmil 28 kV XLPE 133% is not an uncommon cable.

Regards,

Check the following options with 34.5 kV cables:

a. Use 2 sets of 750 kcmill triplexed conductors.
b. Use 1-set of 1250 kcmil single conductors.

Just a clarification; Do you need to use 133% insulation level cable with Grounding through reactance? any calculation?

Thank you

I don't need any calculation. My cable insulation should be 133% but the problem is a large cable 1250 kcmil which is not typical ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back