Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2D vs. 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJW308

Aerospace
Apr 21, 2003
US
I just purchased Solidworks 2012, Professional edition and a manual didn't come with it.

I'm very familiar with SDRC, so I'm being productive, but one area that confuses me and that I can't seem to find any answers on in the internet is the difference between 2D and 3D sketches.

Through a process of trial and error I'm learning what works and what doesn't, but I'd like to know the design intent for both modes. Is there a link that you know of that would help me?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the 3D sketch capability is included mostly because it's at the core of pipe, tube, and wire routing.

I recall perceiving it as inconsistent and glitchy when used for anything else. ... but in all honesty, I myself am often inconsistent and glitchy.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

AJW308,

2D sketches are the primitives you use to extrude, rotate, route and loft solid model features. 3D sketches are used for guidance for routing and lofting.

Mostly.[smile]

--
JHG

I have used the '2D import' capability, where 3 orthogonal 2D drawings are imported, converted to sketches, aligned and used to build 3D objects. I get the impression that it's distinct from 3D sketching.

It works well enough, but it can be confusing if the object being modeled is complex, like say an engine.

It gets real interesting when the 2D drawings you went to so much trouble to acquire and import turn out to have been faked in some areas, so stuff that should line up, doesn't. But that's not Dassault's fault.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

The simplest answer is this: all the elements in a 2D sketch lie on a single plane. A 3D sketch is not limited to one plane.

AJW308,

Do yourself a huge favor and go through the excellent tutorials as CBL has suggested. Your confusion about 2D/3D will be cleared up and you find MANY other things that will shorten your learning curve.

Welcome to SWX, it is a terrific tool; now do your homework.

- - -Updraft

I highly recommend the tutorials, I learned to use solidworks in about a week using them! I sometimes even answer questions for my superiors on the program now.

Are the tutorials still current with the 2007 version of SW?

I found that the built-in tutorials were incredibly helpful, but phase errors caused me a lot of trouble understanding them.

Online tutorials abound, but a corporate anti-YouTube filter made them unavailable.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Yea I find corporations to be about as anti productive as they can be and still stay in business. But, they generally have real good handle on just how unproductive they can be.

I also recommend the tutorials, they're nice and short and have the basics covered very well. There are a number of decent books available on amazon etc.

The first thing I did was run through the tutorials and they did get me started.

The issue that occasionally pops up is when I create a sketch plane out in space and try to extrude a feature to the base part. I've since found that selecting "Create a 3D sketch on a plane" helps, but initially it wasn't clear why I'd be asked for a direction when I went to complete my operation.

I had also looked at the Solidworks books in the local Barnes and Noble to see what they had to say and I didn't see anything that I hadn't seen in the Solidworks tutorials or the YouTube postings that I've looked at.

Thanks for your help and support, I appreciate it.

No one has mentioned yet that with a legitimate seat you get a home copy as well. If you have a single computer installation you simply take the DVD home and install it using your existing license number. If you have a network copy it is slightly more involved.
MIS will probably not believe you get a home license, so you may have to get your VAR involved.
Install it at home and you can go through the Youtube tutorials.

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2011 SP 4.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back