Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2x 3phase circuits in the same cable... possible with local codes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco_HueHueHue

Electrical
Apr 8, 2018
CA
Hello,

I stumbled into a design where there are 2x 3-phase circuits (each with their own protective device) merging into a single 6 conductors 1000V rated teck cable (Canadian installation).

I am a bit suspicious of this... but, I searched the local Canadian Code for something on that... i didn't find anything. Only thing i found is article 12-106.
This article forbids to have different circuit in the same cable if they are independent. But nowhere the "independent" definition is given. The 2x 3-phase circuits are at 600V and fed from the same distribution panel. So... it is not independent...

Anyone went through something equivalent?
Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That rule,(in the 2015 code) generally prohibits running different voltages in the same cable except for limited exceptions.
Also prohibited is running circuits of the same voltage but fed from different transformers.
(2) A multi-conductor cable shall not contain circuits of different systems except as permitted in Rule 12-3030.
If this doesn't help, please post the exact wording of rule 12-106 from the current code edition.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Thank you for your clarification.
That is basically what i understood from the article i posted.

So, even though it does not seem the best thing to do to me, i believe that to have 2 different circuits (but same voltage fed from the same transformer) is accepted by CEC.

Thank you for your help!

We often see the phrase;
"Raceway or cable" in the CEC.
I haven't been around commercial work for a few generations now, but at one time the following was a common installation.
Lighting for large spaces such as department stores was often done with 6, 15 Amp circuits per conduit.
Eight #12 conductors would be installed in one 3/4" conduit to supply six lighting circuits.
#12 AWG conductors were used to satisfy the reduced Ampacity due to more than 3 current carrying conductors in a raceway.
While some of the 15 Amp circuits may have been acceptable with #14 AWG conductors, the majority needed to be #12 AWG to satisfy voltage drop concerns.
The labour to pull 8 conductors is less than the labour to pull 4 conductors twice.
The cost and labour to install one 3/4" conduit is less than the cost and labour to install two 1/2" conduits.
Hence, six circuits and eight conductors per raceway.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back